Using Technology to Deepen Democracy, Using Democracy to Ensure Technology Benefits Us All

Sunday, October 25, 2015

In the Houses of Healing

I was felled rather suddenly last night by some kind of a bug and am spending the day in bed, hoping to be sufficiently on the mend for my the commute and teaching marathon Tuesday, which is exhausting on the best of days. I've been reading Starhawk's The Fifth Sacred Thing in bed all day and am enjoying it much more than I expected to do. It's rather like the urban dystopian West of Octavia Butler (the two Parables, Clay's Ark, "Speech Sounds") interspersed with scenes in a future San Francisco which is a bit like Hobbiton meets Lothlorien. Now, I'll have to read the prequel and a sequel that is fortuitously coming out at the end of this year.

1 comment:

jimf said...

> . . .like Hobbiton meets Lothlorien. . .

You mean it's got a park with a big mallorn tree
where people have birthday parties?