Using Technology to Deepen Democracy, Using Democracy to Ensure Technology Benefits Us All

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Equal Opportunity Grumbler

By the way, lest readers think I am being especially hard on the Robot Cultists in my ridicule of their separatist daydreams of transtopian Nauru, let me point out that my disdain in this case is fueled by a hefty dose of historical knowledge as well as personal experience, of failed Wimmen's separatist compounds and of macho eco-communes and of anti-civilizational yurt hamlets and of who knows how many narcissistic temporary autonomous zones from e-suffused warehouse raves to bourgie insurrectionist art shows to Burning Man wannabepaloozas not one of which seemed to me more relevant to actual political problems in any larger or actually useful sense than does, say, the piquant pleasure of jerking off into a discarded bedside sock, even if many of their participants were professing ethical-political ideals with which I am generally more sympathetic personally than the ones spouted by foolish futurologists as they indulge in their own separatist delusiveness.

No comments: