Using Technology to Deepen Democracy, Using Democracy to Ensure Technology Benefits Us All

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Scarlet Traces

Today is the first day my break from teaching has actually felt real. And I spent it doing what I do pretty much anytime when I'm not teaching -- joyfully reading comics (I know I don't blog about this much, but I read graphic novels quite voraciously, and especially adore graphic documentary-ethnography-history stuff, but also queer/punk stuff and of course some sf, too). I read Edginton and D'Israeli's wonderful steampunk trilogy, Scarlet Traces, today, beginning with their adaptation of War of the Worlds (which they actually made last, I believe) and then the two sequels. Vivid beyond belief, brutal, viscerally superquick, far truer to the spirit of the original matter and hence mordant and much funnier than any filmic adaptations have been, I loved all three.

No blogging today about healthcare politics (summary judgment: the tide may be turning) nor about futurological fanboys (summary judgment: they're still stupid), apart from some of the usual give-and-take playing out in the Moot, I've been relaxing for once!

No comments: