Using Technology to Deepen Democracy, Using Democracy to Ensure Technology Benefits Us All

Monday, November 03, 2008

California Propositions

I worry quite a bit that calling the Presidential race early might cause progressive folks here in California to walk away from long lines at the polls -- especially if they are voting after a long day's work -- when there are extraordinarily momentous closely-fought proposition battles getting fought out tomorrow as well. Eric and I will go over the whole California ballot together tonight as we always do the night before any election, from President to Commissioners to Proposition Measures, and we sometimes change each other's minds on this or that conclusion we've come to. But the following are my recommendations for now for the various California Propositions, with YouTube videos that elaborate the reasons and stakes in greater depth. (UPDATE: I've jettisoned the vids, they were slowing down the blog too much.)

Prop 1A (High Speed Rail)
Ferocious YES!

Prop 2 (Improve Farm Animal Conditions)
Yes

Prop 3 (Children's Hospital Bonds)
Yes

Prop 4 (Parental Notification for Abortions Yet Again)
Strong NO! AGAIN!

5 (Drug Rehab Programs Not More Jails)
Yes

6 (Anti-Gang?)
No

7 (Renewable Power Standards?)
No

8 (Anti-Gay Hate Written into the Constitution)
Ferocious NO!

9 (Victim's Rights?)
No

10 (Pickens Pet Natural Gas Project)
No

11 (Redistricting)
No

12 (Veterans Bonds)
Yes

1 comment:

Anne Corwin said...

Heh, weird I finished filling out my ballot the end of last week and voted exactly as this outline suggests!

And...I have to say that this election is the first one in which I've actually felt like I've been able to see what priorities are supported by voting in one direction or another outside the few issues I've been aware of (i.e., choice, human/animal rights) for years. Which seems like a good thing.