Using Technology to Deepen Democracy, Using Democracy to Ensure Technology Benefits Us All

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Re-Public: The Promise of the Commons

The online journal Re-public has just published the first part of a very interesting issue on The promise of the commons. The issue explores the technocultural openings that the concept of the 'commons' presents for contemporary democratic theory and practice . Among the articles are a piece by a hero of mine, Richard Stallman on The free software movement, a piece by one of my colleagues at the Institute for Ethics and Emerging Technologies, Douglas Rushkoff Commons: Creating an alternative value system, and a piece by my friend Michel Bauwens, Peer production, peer governance, peer property, among many others. I hope to provide comments on these pieces once I've managed at long last to get all my finals graded.

No comments: